Tsleil-Watututh Nation (TWN) School’s mission is to foster a community of learners where every student feels safe, and is therefore able to thrive as an independent and accountable learner who is respectful, grounded, cooperative and innovative. As a First Nations Schools Association (FNSA) Certified school, we strive to foster a nurturing environment that develops learners’ pride and competence in their First Nations language and heritage that will equip them to realize their full potential, within and beyond the Nation. We are a small and thriving FNSA school with a huge heart that pairs students’ unique needs and goals with innovative student-centered instruction. We aim to be a partner in the development of a better tomorrow.
Tsleil-Waututh Nation School In the News
Skip to 9:45 for the story on TWN school:
November 2nd Meeting:
We offer academic programming for students in grades 8-12. Students who successfully complete our program are eligible for direct entrance into post-secondary education with either a Dogwood (Provincial) or Adult Dogwood diploma. Students participate in Sḵwx̱wú7mesh sníchim class, receiving credit for a second language. Our classes are taught using the innovative Where are your Keys methodology by the TWN Language Team. Opportunities for paid summer internships with the TWN language team are available for talented and enthusiastic high school language learners.
Following best practices, our school has a strong focus on experiential learning. Our partnerships allow for unique opportunities for learning, weaving together nature and respect in a cohesive manner and allowing for place conscious learning and hands-on experiential insights. Our students intern with Ocean Wise (at the Vancouver Aquarium), approach knowledge acquisition through project modelling where applicable, and challenge themselves to be all they can be.
Registration begins in August prior to each school year. Registration is open to all school aged (under 19) youth and TWN Members ordinarily resident on reserve over the age of 19. To register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWN School Calendar 2020-21
Confirmed Days Off
- September 30, 2021: Nation Day for Truth and Reconciliation (School Closed)
- October 1, 2021: School Pro-D Day
- October 11, 2021: Thanksgiving (School Closed)
- October 22, 2021: District Pro-D Day
- November 1, 2021: School Pro-D Day
- November 11, 2021: Remembrance Day (School Closed)
- Winter Break: Two weeks – December 20, 2021, to January 3, 2022, inclusive. The last day of student attendance is Friday, December 17, 2021. Students will return to school on Tuesday, January 4, 2022.
- February 4, 2022: District Pro-D Day
- February 21, 2022: Family Day (School Closed)
- Spring Break: Two weeks – March 14, 2022, to March 25, 2022, inclusive. The last day of student attendance is Friday March 11, 2022. Students will return to school on Monday, March 28, 2022.
- April 15, 2022: Good Friday (School Closed)
- April 18, 2022: Easter Monday (School Closed)
- May 9, 2022: District Pro-D Day
- May 23, 2022: Victoria Day (School Closed)
- June 21, 2022: Nation Indigenous Peoples Day (School Closed)
- June 29, 2022: Last day of Classes
- Jun 30, 2022: Administration Day